If you’re a business blogger, you maybe wondering how do I write clear and compelling blog content?
Nowadays it seems that everyone has a blog! From the mom who wants to share her opinions on “good parenting” to the high school kid who wants to share his or her teenage years with the world. But if your goal is to make money with your blog, then you must deliver clear and compelling blog content that speaks to your readers.
To be an effective blog writer, you must consider the needs and expectations of your readers. Your primary goal should be to provide valuable content that gets to the point fast and makes it easy for your readers to pick out important information.
A recent Yahoo eye-tracking study showed three general patterns to the way people browse webpages:
- People scan the main sections of a webpage to determine what it’s about and if they want to remain on the page.
- People make decisions about the webpage in as little as three seconds.
- Visitors who remain on a webpage for more than three seconds, pay the most attention to the content in the top part of the screen.
Since you have less than three seconds to grab your reader’s attention, you need to get to the point quickly and entice people to read your entire post.
To accomplish these goals, follow these three tips for writing clear and compelling blog content:
1. Keep It Short. Your readers will scan your blog post to see if the content is relevant. They are more likely to scan the top of the page than the bottom of the page. They will look for headlines, bold-faced type and pictures. Therefore, use short words, short sentences and short paragraphs.
2. Front-Load Your Content. Don’t spend time leading up to your main point! Decide what’s most important to communicate to your readers and put this information in the first few paragraphs. Also, make sure your headline and opening paragraph contains your keywords.
3. Keep It simple. Include only one or two ideas in each paragraph. Choose simple words over more difficult ones. Even if technical langauge maybe appropriate for your blog based on your niche, your readers will appreciate simple language.
Tip: Write for a lower reading-comprehension level than you expect many of your readers to have and you will make your readers happy.
Remember these three tips for writing clear and compelling blog content: Keep it short, front-load your content and keep it simple. You may get hundreds of visitors to your blog, but the real challenge is to keep them on your site and to keep them coming back!
Your Success Partner,
P.S. I’m eager to hear reader feedback on this post and would love to know what tips you have on the subject of writing clear and compelling blog content, so please leave a comment.